Monday, July 19, 2010

Anakie to Alpha 124km

Was glad to leave the caravan park at Anakie. It is a very fine place for motoring campers but for the tent campers the grass is full of thorns. I also recommend not camping anywhere 'pets are welcome' as the camping area is where people take their animals.

Rode out in trepidation about crossing the Drummond Ranges. After some easy hills in a thick fog (perhaps the blinding fog made them easier?), I climbed a set of bigger hills and thought that was the range. This climb, however, curved to a frightening vista of the dark ridge of a mountain range with no apparent gaps.

I stopped just before this large range at the town of Boguntungen where a couple of Afghan-Australians pulled over in a work car to ask me questions. They told me where there was some excellent rainwater in a tank, gave me an accurate description of the road ahead, and did not ask why I was riding a bicycle which was unusual.

I started the winding ascents with no problems but then the longest ever slope into the heavens appeared along which I had to push the bike the last 300 metres. This one lasting incline was the only major pain on the range. At the top of the hill was a sign indicating the top of the range about 12km from Boguntungen.

A fantastic descent brought monkey noises from my mouth, first down the range and then at a gentle downward slope for a long time. The road on was mainly inclines and declines with the trees becoming sparser in parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment