Friday, July 16, 2010

Comet to Emerald to Anakie 116km -

Woke up in Comet at the first hint of blue in the sky with no heat in the world beyond my sleeping bag and sleeping bag liner. The sleeping mat was also doing just great. I snuck in a few sets of ten minute snoozes before dashing for the showers.

The ride out of Comet was at first an inert drudgery from pebbly road mix and some climbs. After not long, however, an interfering crosswind swung enough behind me to hurtle me along the now flat country. Comet to Emerald is mostly easy and flat.

Rode out to the village of Anakie, a town a kilometre off the main highway. Went into a pub to get money out from the Eftpos machine and ordered a diet coke. I took the diet coke into the bar area where a rough looking set of mugs were staring at me. Most were quizzing me and there was plenty of banter, but one bloke was very drunk and aggressive and started talking to his mates about wanting to bash me. I left reluctantly without another drink as the other people were great company.

No comments:

Post a Comment