Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Curtin Springs to Yulara

Today the superbike stomped all the way to Yulara, the official resort and only camping ground near Uluru. A bit over 20 kilometres away the first sight of Uluru was brilliant, a fine, soft pink on a slightly hazy sunny day. The road in was almost hilly but a tailwind made it quite easy to zoom up the hills.

About halfway a couple with a caravan pulled over and yelled if I knew Maree, a rider who is down in Victoria right now on tour. What an awesome bush telegraph! I met Maree last year cycling to Melbourne and have kept in contact. Then she met these caravaners in Victoria who were headed my way.

Later on, I saw the guy I met at Erldunda Roadhouse who was on his return trip from Docker River. So another breath of familiarity made it a great day culminating in my first sight of an awesome landmark, Uluru.

No comments:

Post a Comment