Tuesday, August 24, 2010

To Docker River campground

I procrastinated in the first light, telling myself I will wait until the sun appears and leads. It was not cold and I got away soon finding a tailwind was bustling superbike along. The road overall was quite good, with a few sandy patches especially before Docker River. These patches are annoying, sometimes corrugated, and may in total add a good half hour to your riding time. But they do not last long.

The campground at Docker River was very well set out and clear of litter, with just a few secluded sites, each with a tap with good drinking water, a fire place with an iron cooking plate, and a toilet nearby.

I made a fire and in a sociable mood invited a couple in a caravan over to share. I found a local radio station for the community broadcasting a relaxing mix of reggae and indigenous tunes. The caravaners came over and had seen a couple of dingoes looking back at them. We heard some large animals trotting and saw a couple of brumbies, a mother and a pure white foal, galloping playfully around the campground.

I slept in the open with just my bag, mat and pillow and was worried about the dingoes. I woke up once to howling of a pack and the pitter patter of many dogs close by. I dreamt a dingo was licking my face and then another was putting its jaws over my neck, but soon I awoke to my relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment