Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Mt Ebeneezer to Curtin Springs

Today started with a cold so icy that I put on my oilskin rain cape to protect me from the wind chill. After an hour, I discovered that the day had become warm. I was sweating. The icy headwind had changed to a tailwind! The superbike elevated its speed and I thundered the rest of the way to Curtin Springs.

The Curtin Springs Roadhouse has free camping and there I met a nice couple, Michael and Maggie from Jervis Bay in New South Wales. Michael had ridden from Perth to Melbourne and was a keen cyclist. They invited me for a fine dinner of mince and potatoes and carrots boiled over a campfire, the wood for which Michael had collected earlier in the day. The campfire brought many friendly people trying to garner some wood off Michael for their own fire or those seeking to warm themselves on a freezing night. Fair enough too. It was great company and they even boiled me up some eggs and buttered some bread as a gift for the day's ride to Yulara.

No comments:

Post a Comment